Thursday, August 9, 2012

Healthy Banana Bread Baked with the Kiddo

Looking for ways to spend quality time with your kids?  Why not start in the kitchen?  There are ways that kids can help in the kitchen, even as toddlers.  My son is now 4, so I'm not sure if he still qualifies as a toddler, but he's been helping his dad cook for at least the past year.  He has his own step stool that we bring out so he can reach the countertops to help crack eggs, mix the batter, or sprinkle on the spices. 

We recently had some bananas that were quite overripe, so rather than letting them go to waste, I decided to bake some banana bread.  We're always trying to eat healthy foods, and I realize that baked goods don't usually fall into that category, so I found a healthier way of making this delicious quick bread.  And since my little man always enjoys bringing out his stool and getting his hands dirty, I thought I'd recruit his help for a little mommy and son time.



He really seemed to enjoy mashing up the bananas and he did a pretty good job, too.  I had to finish them off but I think he's got the whole pulverizing thing down.  Pay no attention to our ugly vinyl table cloth.

 He even got in on some mixing action.  I thought he would shy away from it because in the past he has complained about the electric mixer being too loud, but this time he wanted to be right there with me holding the mixer.
.

And here is our yummy creation, cooling on some parchment paper on top of a wire rack.  Waiting for it to cool is always the hardest part!


Banana bread for breakfast anyone?  I can't think of a better way to start the day.  If Chris looks a little groggy, it's because he just got up.  Being tired should never get in the way of eating.

This was a really simple banana bread to make and the thing I love about this recipe is that most of the ingredients are probably already in your pantry or fridge.  I just had to make a quick run to the store for the yogurt.

Healthy Banana Bread

Ingredients:


1/2 cup sugar
5 tablespoons butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour (about 6.75 ounces) **
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (6 ounce) container vanilla low-fat yogurt
3/4 cup ripe mashed bananas (I used 2 small bananas)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking spray

** I used half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour and the easiest way to measure it was to use a food scale.

Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes).  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.  Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmet, and ground cloves.  Add flour mixture and yogurt alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Fold in bananas and vanilla.  Pour batter into a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan.  Cool completely on wire rack.

Then slice up and enjoy!

Adapted from this Cooking Light recipe.


Next time, I'm thinking of using Splenda in place of the sugar to help reduce the calories even further. Know of any good healthy baking recipes? I'd love to hear about them!

Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment